Why should I apply for the Young Scholars Program?
There are essentially two reasons to apply:
- By applying, you have a shot at being selected.
- Even if you’re not selected – and, let’s face it, more than 90% of applicants aren’t – the benefits of applying are great. By completing the application, you become a contender, and that alone builds confidence and elevates your expectations. Additionally, completing the Young Scholars Program application is excellent practice in applying for future scholarships. You’ll learn how to gather and organize financial records, solicit teacher recommendations and write compelling essays. Applying for the Young Scholars Program is a skill-building exercise that will benefit you for many years to come!
What do I get out of the program?
The Foundation lists lots of benefits, but to summarize, The Young Scholars Program provides Scholars with individualized educational advising and comprehensive financial support from 8th grade through high school.
Beginning in 8th grade, Young Scholars:
- Participate in high-quality academic and extracurricular opportunities in their local community, on college campuses, and around the globe.
- Develop the knowledge, talents, and leadership skills to be significant contributors.
- Set and reach academic and talent goals that will prepare them to be competitive, well-informed applicants for our nation’s best colleges and universities.
Each receives a unique combination of opportunities that may include:
- Guidance in selecting a high school and, if necessary, support in applying to a private or magnet high school.
- Summer academic or enrichment programs.
- Computers, software, or other learning technology.
- Specialized support in music, art, science, math, or other subjects.
- Connection with a nationwide community of Young Scholars.
- Resources for career exploration and mentorship.
- College advising and counseling.